A hospital in Danville, Pennsylvania, has issued an apology after it says three infants were killed, and five others infected, by infected donor breast milk.
Geisinger Medical Center says that the infants died earlier this year after they drank pseudomonas bacteria infected milk. All of the deaths were premature babies who were more susceptible to infection from the bacteria due to their fragility.
“We would like to extend our sincere apologies to the families who have been affected by this incident,” the hospital said in a statement. “We know that the public holds us to the highest standards, and we will continue to strive to live up to those expectations as we have throughout our history, constantly improving on what we do and how we do it.”