A woman in northern California is in a semi-comatose state after using a skin-care cream she had ordered from Mexico that had been apparently tainted with a dangerous ingredient.
According to Sacramento County Public Health, the woman became ill in late June and had been exposed to methylmercury, a form of mercury that could cause brain and nervous system damage. Officials urged consumers to stop using similar skin creams imported from Mexico “due to risk of contamination with methylmercury.”
The 47-year-old woman had allegedly been buying Pond’s Rejuveness cream from Jalisco, Mexico, for 12 years. The item, which can be purchased in the U.S., claims to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles within two weeks.