An Alabama Department of Corrections narcotics dog died this weekend after he had an allergic reaction to a substance inside an Elmore County prison.
Alabama Department of Corrections officials says K-9 Jake collapsed during a contraband search inside Staton Correctional Facility on Thursday. Jake “alerted” on a substance before falling unconscious.
The substance has not yet been identified, but an early test by a HazMat team identified it as synthetic marijuana.
Jake was transported to the Auburn University Veterinary Clinic and his condition deteriorated when he developed pneumonia and died.