Patient Dies, Others Sickened From Children’s Hospital Mold Infestation

A patient at Seattle Children’s Hospital has died from a mold infection. The patient was one of six to develop an infection from 2018-2019, according to Alyse Bernal, public relations manager for the hospital.

The infections follow several operating rooms being shut down in May by the detection of Aspergillus mold in the air. The hospital said that the risk to patients was low

The Children’s Hospital patient died after developing an Aspergillus infection in 2018, Bernal said. Details about the patient and the case have not been shared due to privacy concerns. Gaps in air filtration is believed to be the cause of mold getting into the air, Bernal said.

Aspergillus is a common mold that most people breathe without getting sick but poses a greater risk to those with weakened immune systems or lung disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Source: Seattle Children’s Hospital mold infestation caused one death and sickened others, prompting shutdown of most operating rooms – CBS News

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: