At least 207 people have been killed and 450 more injured in a series of explosions targeting churches holding Easter services and hotels in Sri Lanka on Sunday. Most of the dead are believed to have been Sri Lankans. Officials said about 30 people from other countries have also been killed.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks but Sri Lanka’s defense minister, Ruwan Wijewardene, said the culprits had been identified and were religious extremists. He said suicide bombers were responsible for the majority of the morning’s bombings and that the wave of attacks was the work of a single group. Police say they have arrested three people so far.
The government has imposed a curfew with immediate effect. It also shut down social media and messaging services.
There were six initial blasts, at three hotels and three churches, before two more explosions later killed 2 people.
35 foreigners among the victims of the bomb blasts in Sri Lanka.
Among the victims are nationals of; #USA, #Denmark, #China, #Japan, #Pakistan, #Morocco, #India and #Bangladesh – National Hospital Spokesperson.#lka #SriLanka
— News 1st (@NewsfirstSL) April 21, 2019