Doctors scanned the brain of a teen in India who was having seizures and found his brain was dotted with parasitic cysts. A severe and ultimately fatal tapeworm infection.
The 18-year-old man was taken to the emergency room after having seizures and losing consciousness. The man appeared confused and had swelling over his right eye. An MRI of his head showed numerous cysts in the outer layer of his brain, according to the report. He also had cysts in his right eye and testes. The man was diagnosed with neurocysticercosis, a parasitic disease that occurs when a person ingests microscopic eggs from a pork tapeworm. When the eggs hatch, the larvae can travel throughout the body, including to the brain, muscles, skin and eyes. The man died two weeks later, the report said.