Eleven people including two children died and more than 90 were hospitalized after eating a religious food offering at a temple in the Indian state of Karnataka, police said on Saturday, calling it a suspected case of mass food poisoning.
Two people have been questioned in connection with the incident on Friday after people became ill when they ate tomato rice at a Hindu temple. Many people are still being treated for vomiting, diarrhea and respiratory diseases. Media reports said the suspected food poisoning was the result of pesticide contamination. Police said it was too early to determine about the cause. Several crows and dogs were also found dead after eating the food, Geetha added.