Woman Dies From Rare Rodent Related Illness

A North Dakota woman has died from hantavirus after possibly coming into contact with rodent droppings or urine. The woman, who was not identified by name or age, was living in the northeast portion of North Dakota.

Hantavirus is a pulmonary syndrome spread by rodents and can be transmitted to humans by breathing in air contaminated with the virus when fresh droppings, urine or nesting materials are disturbed.  It was not clear when the woman contracted hantavirus, nor when she died, but officials said it’s important for residents to remain mindful when dealing with evidence of rodents.

This case marks the state’s 16th since 1993.

Source: North Dakota woman dies of hantavirus | Health | bismarcktribune.com

 

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: