One woman is dead and another is in critical condition after dry ice left in the car the two were driving in gave off toxic fumes, officials in Washington said.
The dry ice belonged to an ice cream salesman. He had four coolers of it in his car on Friday morning, according to police. The salesman’s wife borrowed the car to take his mother home and, “Somehow or another, the fumes escaped from the coolers,” Detective Ed Troyer said.
The salesman reportedly called 911 hours later when he found both women on the side of the road near his home. The man’s 77-year-old mother was killed and most likely died of suffocation, according to the medical examiner’s office.