On June 22 Tracy Lynn Martinez went to get a pedicure at her local salon in Winston, North Carolina. The next day, she said that she had body chills, nausea, and dizziness. She tried to sleep it off but when she woke up her leg had swollen to three times its size.
Martinez called an ambulance and shortly after doctors diagnosed her with a severe case of cellulitis. Cellulitis is a disease developed from a strep infection coming from a callus cutter which is used to slice the dead skin of the balls of feet.
It took Martinez two weeks in the hospital to be stablized. She is now on a three month course of medication. She was unaware that the tool they were using to cut the dead skin off the balls of her feet is actually banned in North Carolina, as in many other states.