A pan of food left out at a Waxahachie, Texas, buffet sent a woman to the hospital with “fried rice syndrome,” a lawsuit seeking $1 million in damages alleges.
Germaine Mobley, 62, of Corsicana claims that after a 2016 lunch with a friend she started vomiting, and by the next morning she was having trouble breathing. Within a day she was in an ICU, where she stayed for eight days.
The bacteria that cause “fried rice syndrome,” Bacillus cereus, are commonly found on foods that have sat out at room temperature and can cause cramps, vomiting and diarrhea, according to the Food and Drug Administration. The symptoms generally don’t last more than a day or two.
Mobley had a pre-existing health condition and spent an additional three months in rehab after she left the hospital, Knotts said. Treatments cost over $100,000.
Asian King owner Huanan Ye said through a translator Wednesday that the lawsuit does not provide sufficient proof of the claims.