The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has warned against purchasing “bone treats” for dogs after a number of illnesses and deaths have been reported.
“In a consumer update, the FDA said they have received nearly 70 reports of pet illnesses related to “bone treats.” The illnesses reported by owners and veterinarians include:
- Gastrointestinal obstruction (blockage in the digestive tract)
- Cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils
- Bleeding from the rectum
- Death. Approximately fifteen dogs reportedly died after eating a bone treat.” (source)